L’Eremo della Maddalena is an Historical property that we rent whole exclusively for events and holiday.
The hermitage of St. Mary Magdalene is situated in an isolated position on a hill at about 3 km. from the town of Monterosso.
This complex was originally dedicated to St. Lorenzo in Terriccio, and was the home for a community of Benedictine monks, who depended on the monastery of St. Gerolamo della Cervara in Portofino, which was first mentioned back in 1244
The complex is formed of two buildings: the church to the north and the monastery to the south.
It is a simple church, with a single rectangular nave which terminates in a semi-circular apse, and is built using square sandstone blocks laid in regular overlapping rows.
The first reconstruction of the church is recorded as being in 1427, when the men in the community increased the height of the walls.
Other work was recorded in 1800, when the facade was rebuilt three meters further back to leave space for the square in front. It seems that the apse stands on older structures, formed of smaller roughly squared blocks, which could lead us to believe that this 13th century church is in fact the reconstruction of a much older building.
Adjoining the church is the monastery, a simple construction that envelops on two sides a small cloister joined to the southern side of the church, with semi-circular arches supported by brick columns.
19016   Monterosso al Mare   (SP)